Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Holiday Cookie Memories

Cookies are one of my favorite things about the holidays, and they bring back so many memories...

My grandmother used to bake several kinds of cookies for Christmas (along with several kinds of candy!), and I loved to help her make them, eagerly awaiting the first batch. Candy-cane cookies were my favorite, but I also liked Pinwheel cookies (vanilla and chocolate rolled together, sliced and baked). Dream bars were also delicious as were sugar cookies, lemon bars, etc. My grandmother made plenty for the family, and also made batches that she gave to the neighbors on plates that she made from old Christmas cards.

I have special memories of making cookies with my mother too, though the funny thing is the two that stand out were both "disasters."

One year we made cookies where we had to press the dough into the cookie cutters so that when we slammed them down on the board they came out with 3-demonsional shapes of Santas, sleighs, stockings filled with presents, etc. We decorated them carefully with all the sprinkles, chocolate bits, etc. They looked so pretty when we took them out of the oven--and they tasted so bad! I think now that it was probably a recipe for cookies made to hang on the tree, but we didn't know that at the time. :O

Another year we made some chocolate cookies. They were totally delicious! Crispy, yet melt-in-your mouth and just so, so tasty. The disaster part of these cookies? The next year when we decided to make them again we couldn't find the recipe! We looked everywhere, but never, ever found it!

I made cookies with my daughter when she was growing up, using some of the recipes my grandmother used. Now that my daughter is grown, I make only the Candy-cane cookies, my favorite. Every time I do, I think of the Christmases when I baked with my grandmother, my mother and my daughter. And then I sit down and have a nice, warm cookie.  :)

6 comments:

  1. My mom makes the best Christmas cookies. She's amazing! I look forward to them every year. It wouldn't be Christmas without them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Food memories are powerful, aren't they? No wonder every ethnic group has its food tie-ins to holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit I quit making cookies some time back. When I wanted to figure out how to scale back so that my December wasn't frantic and I felt like I couldn't write for the whole month, I realized the cookies made the difference. Take that pressure off, and I could manage without feeling crazy. Cookies always drove MY mom crazy, and I realized later that she made as many different kinds as she did because she was trying to keep up with HER mother, who was some kind of genius cook and baker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I make only the Candy-cane cookies now. :) And if I want other kinds, I buy them at the bakery!

      Delete
  4. My mother always had one particular recipe she made, but somehow I have two difference recipe cards that I've marked as "this is the recipe Mom always used." I've tried them both, but somehow every year I end up back at the same dilemma. Which one was it again?!

    I remember candy cane cookies. Haven't made those in ages. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you'll be right at least every other year! :)

      Delete